Friday, June 05, 2009

I MISS THE 90's

I miss the simple life,
The simple times and
The ever more fluid feel of life,
The 90's seem distant,
Magical, ethereal, somewhat really friendly,
I miss the 90's, I miss my life.

I miss the times when we were not wired,
When facebook never existed, and hotmail just began and we wondered,
When computers were big and broad,
And Bajaj and Maruti is all we saw,
And 118NE, Padmini and Contessa's were luxury,
I miss the 90's and I miss that life.

I miss the simple pleasures of that decade,
When a chocolate made me scream excited,
And Sachin was cute with curly hair, and not sexy with a stubble,
When Paes and Bhupati played together and won together,
And when we rejoiced at a Kabaddi gold in the Asian Games,
I miss the 90's and its specialness.

I miss the tennis of the 90's, when clothes were white,
When Ford sponsored The Aussie Open, its background all blue,
When Graf, Seles and Sanchez romanced the courts,
When Sampras jumped and smashed and lept his way to glory,
And Agassi was the rock star with a style of his own,
And when the Spice Girls ruled the courts, I miss I miss.....

I long for the television of the 90's,
From 'Hip Hip Hurray' to 'F.R.I.E.D.S' to 'Hum Paanch',
From 'Ramayan' and 'Mahabharat' and 'Mowgli',
And then there was 'Potli ka Baba' and 'Disney Hour' every Sunday,
When Derek O' Brien quizzed us with fun and frill,
I miss the 90's and all that it brought.

I miss the ad's of the 90's, they were innocent and warm,
The Cadbury's brought 'Kya Baat Hai Zindagi Mein',
And Pepsi gave us Ash in hot red lipped Sanju,
When dhara made 'Jalebiiii' a national dessert,
And 'Desh Raag' and 'Mile Sur Mera Tumhara' brought us to a standstill,
I long for the 90's and all that it meant.

I miss what we wore in the 90's,
When tight jeans were in vogue,
And it was fashionable to wear denim shirts,
When guys wore loose t-shirts over stiff par of jeans,
And it was daring to wear mini-skirts,
AH! The 90's.........

The 90's were special, it made my life what it is,
When pleasures were simple and sweet, and the rat race was not so terrifying,
When small measures were big, when togetherness was what mattered,
And we still were proud of our little achievements,
I like the new millenium, but something is missing,
I miss the 90's, mostly because it was lively and had a life.

2 comments:

Aahna said...

beautiful... so pure!

Anonymous said...

hey sayan....it is potli baba ki.....n i think u missed a few other things: Chandrakanta, that serial,2-hour summer holidays special on DD, buying and getting cassettes recorded as there were no CDs or i-pods,the Fiat car..will let you know some more if i am able to recollect. tc....Chhavi